The TOEFL writing section has two parts:
- First is the TOEFL integrated essay. You will read an article and a lecture on the same topic. The lecture will challenge the argument made in reading. Your essay must explain how the lecture casts doubt on the reading. You will be given twenty minutes to write your essay. You should write about 280 to 300 words.
- Second is the TOEFL independent essay. You are asked your opinion on a topic related to a personal, academic or professional issue. You have thirty minutes to write an essay about it. You should write about 380 to 400 words.
TOEFL Essay Evaluation
- Sign up today to have your practice essays evaluated by a TOEFL writing expert (that’s me). I’ll check your essays line by line and comment on your grammar, development, argument and vocabulary. More importantly, I’ll tell you what you need to do better next time. Check it out.
TOEFL Writing Guides
- Complete templates for each essay task
- A detailed master guide to the integrated TOEFL essay task
- A detailed master guide to the independent TOEFL essay task
- A collection of 70 sample TOEFL essays
Other Helpful Stuff
- How Long Should a TOEFL Essay Be?
- Recent Changes to the TOEFL
- TOEFL Vocabulary Rules
- How to get Ideas for TOEFL Essays (video)
Check Out Our Video Series