The Question

People in society work in many different settings, and for a variety of reasons.  What do you think is the main reason why people have jobs? 

•  to feel happier about their lives 
  •  to save money for the future 
  •  to develop new skills 

Use specific examples and details to support your answer. 

Special Offer: TOEFL Essay Evaluation and Scoring

You can now sign up to have your practice essays corrected and scored by me!  I’ll estimate your score and tell you how to do better on test day! Sign up today.

The Sample Essay

Only a very narrow minded person would suggest that making money is the single reason why people go to work each day.  Personally, I believe that people find jobs to feel happier about their daily lives. I feel this way for two reasons, which I will explore in the following essay.

First of all, having a job gives our life a sense of purpose, which is good for our mental health.  The objectives of our job are something to strive for each day, and make it easy to establish both long and short term goals.  Without a job, people often feel directionless. My own experience is a compelling example of this. In 2008, after ten years of working in a fast-paced corporate environment, I was laid off from my job.  Even though I was financially secure and did not need to get another position right away I felt extremely depressed because I did not have an official job. Pursuing my hobbies was fun, but I lacked something to strive for each day.  This is because at work I had always been given sales objectives and profit objectives to work towards and without those I felt depressed. Accomplishing professional goals always gave me a great sense of satisfaction.

Secondly, jobs give us opportunities to meet new people on a regular basis, which can provide us with a sense of happiness.  People who are unemployed interact mostly with their family and old friends, which can sometimes be boring. When I was in high school, I worked in a local supermarket.  Although the job did not give me a very high salary, I often look back on that experience with fondness; indeed, in many ways it was the best job I have ever had. I was very happy to chat with the eclectic assortment of customers who came in each day.  They all came from radically different backgrounds than me, and as a result it was stimulating to learn about their lives. Even though I now work at a job that pays me a much higher wage, I do miss my low-paying supermarket job sometimes.

In conclusion, I strongly believe that one of the main reasons people work is to feel better about their lives.  This is because a job gives us goals to strive for, and it can also give us opportunities to make connections with interesting people. (385 words)

Note:

This is a sample TOEFL essay written by a native speaker.  It follows our TOEFL Writing templates for independent essays.  If it is useful, please remember that we have many more sample essays for you to read!

Submit your practice essays for evaluation by the author of this website.  Get feedback on grammar, structure, vocabulary and more.  Learn how to score better on the TOEFL.  Feedback in 48 hours.