The Question

Some people like to spend their money as soon as they earn it, while others think it is better to save their money for some time in the future. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. Do not use memorized examples.

Special Offer: TOEFL Essay Evaluation and Scoring

You can now sign up to have your practice essays evaluated and scored by a TOEFL expert.  Learn how you will do on test day… and learn how to do better! Sign up today.

The Sample Essay

Money concerns are a major cause of stress and anxiety in the modern world. In my opinion, it is a really wise idea to save money for the future.  I feel this way for two main reasons, which I will explore in the following essay.

To begin with, older people are able to make better financial decisions than youngsters due to their experience and maturity.  Young people, who have very little worldliness, are prone to spending their money on products that are mostly useless and which they quickly tire of.  Older people, on the other hand, know which purchases will result in long-term happiness and satisfaction. My own experience is a compelling example of this.  When I was young, I spent a tremendous amount of money on video games and comic books which I enjoyed only for a short time. Later, when I enrolled in university, I did not have enough savings to pay for my tuition, and was forced to take out a significant number of student loans.  Even today, several years after graduation, I regret not saving much money as a teenager. These days I am a lot more conservative when it comes to spending, and carefully consider all of my future expenses.

Secondly, life is full of unexpected emergencies which can cause a lot of anxiety if we do not have a lot of money saved up.  According to reports in the media, more than seventy-five percent of all bankruptcies in my country are the result of medical bills. I am totally aware that it is humiliating to lose our financial independence in this way.  For example, last year my uncle suffered a major heart attack which required him to undergo very expensive cardiac surgery. He did not have enough money to pay for this procedure, so he had to ask his elderly parents for a loan.  They were able to help him because they had resisted the urge to spend and saved money through their entire lives. He felt extremely embarrassed about begging his parents for assistance, especially as he could have avoided the situation by emulating their frugal behavior.

In conclusion, I believe that it is better to save money for the future rather than spend it right away.  I feel this way because we gain the ability to make better financial decisions as we mature, and because saving money helps us avoid the humiliating effects of unexpected financial emergencies. (405 words)

Note

This is a sample TOEFL paired choice essay written by a native speaker.  It follows our TOEFL writing templates for independent essays.  If you find it useful, please remember that we have many more sample essays for you to read!

Submit your practice essays for evaluation by the author of this website.  Get feedback on grammar, structure, vocabulary and more.  Learn how to score better on the TOEFL.  Feedback in 48 hours.