No book recommendations today. Sorry. My personal reading was mostly fiction this month. But, as usual, I did plow through a few magazines.
First up, I read the September issue of “History Today.” I enjoyed:
- Armenia’s Warrior Queen, about P’aranjem, queen of Armenia in the fourth century.
- The First Soviet in Ireland, a short article about an interesting Irish labor movement from 1917.
Next, I read the October issue of the same magazine. In that one, I liked:
- Women at War, about how women in early medival Britain experienced warfare.
- The Switzerland of Latin America, about Uruguay of the early twentieth century.
Both of these magazines contain a lot of great long-form articles… but alas they are for subscribers only.
Finally, I read the Fall 2021 issue of Modern Dog (oh yes I did). I spotted:
- Dogs the Size of Grizzly Bears Roamed Prehistoric Earth, which is a short article that might help you prepare for the third speaking question.
- Saving the Endangered African Wild Dog, which is a medium-length article about animal conservation efforts.
- How to Teach Your Dog to Read (Yes, Really) because hey, why not?
I think I’ve got one more issue of “History Today” and one more issue of “Modern Dog” coming before my subscriptions run out. Stay tuned!