There are new reading question types on the Duolingo English Test the starting today!
These are called “Interactive Reading Questions.”
When you take the test, you’ll now get two short reading passages with six questions each. One passage will be a narrative style reading (it will tell a story), and the other will be expository (like a short academic article). You will have seven or eight minutes to complete all of the questions for a given passage. Interestingly, you may not get to see the whole passage at first. Instead, parts of it will be revealed at you move through the questions.
Question types are:
- complete the sentence (pick best words to finish a sentence in the reading)
- complete the passage (pick the best sentence to finish the reading)
- highlight the answer (locate the answer to a given question and highlight it within the passage)
- identify the main idea of the passage
- select a title for the passage.
These questions are all showing up now in the free practice test provided by Duolingo, so you can check out examples if you like. I’ll take the practice test a few more times and update this post if necessary.
The test will still be one hour in total. To make room for this new content, fewer instances of the existing question types will be included. Note that no question types have been removed. You’ll just get fewer of each.
Update: DET has a YouTube video that describes the questions.