TOEFL Writing Section
The writing test is the last section of the TOEFL.
First up is the integrated essay, where you will be read an article and a lecture on the same topic. The reading will begin by presenting a claim about a specific topic and will continue by presenting three reasons that support its claim. It is almost certain that the lecture will cast doubt on the reading by presenting three corresponding counter-points. You have twenty minutes to write your essay.
Next up is the independent essay. This is a standard four-paragraph essay that asks your opinion on a topic related to your personal, academic or professional life. You have thirty minutes to write your essay.
We Can Help - We'll Score Your Practice Essays
The writing section should be the easiest part of your TOEFL. The reason you are struggling with it is that you haven't gotten proper feedback on your practice essays. To have your practice essays evaluated, corrected and scored (by a native English speaker) visit our evaluation section to sign up today.
We Also Have Free Guides to Scoring Better...
We have a number of step-by-step guides to writing better TOEFL essays. These are the most important part of this site. Current guides are:
- How to write an independent essay (advanced lesson)
- How to write an independent essay (beginners lesson)
- How to write an integrated essay
- Complete TOEFL writing templates
- The top ten most common TOEFL writing mistakes (Independent Essay)
- The top ten most common TOEFL writing mistakes (Integrated Essay)
...And Dozens of Complete Sample Essays and Topics
- Sample Essays (written by a native speaker) of both question types
- 155 possible independent essay topics.