TOEFL Speaking Type Six Questions
You will listen to a brief academic lecture. The topic of the lecture is supported using two examples. You will be asked a question about how the lecturer uses the two examples. The question prompt will look something like:
"Using points and examples from the talk, describe two methods of how plants absorb water."
This question type does not include a reading part. It contains only a listening, which takes the form of an academic lecture.
The lecture is about a topic that might appear in a freshman university class. Broadly, the lectures usually relate to:
- History and Art
The lecture always contains a clear main topic. Moreover, it is always broken into two sub-topics that illustrate the main point. The structure of the lecture is usually something like:
- Introduction (1-3 sentences that broadly introduce the topic)
- Subtopic One + some details about it or one detail about it and an example
- Subtopic Two + some details about it or one detail about it and an example
How to Answer
Include a very short description of the topic of the lecture followed by a detailed answer to the specific question that has been asked.
- The lecture is about...
- The professor illustrates this point using two main examples.
- First, he gives the example of...
- He says that...
- Secondly, he speaks about the example of...
- He claims that...
Video Lesson (Including Sample Answer)